Locations of Site Visitors László Szögeczki's CE blog: Statement of Being Conductive Education Teacher

Wednesday 3 September 2008

Statement of Being Conductive Education Teacher

As I mentioned in my last note I think I started my blog in a very illogical time. Yes I did, because I had no time to introduce what I want actually in this E -site and why I started it.

Let’s start to describe it with why. – Well, it takes a lot of time (to sit down and write) what I definitely do not have however; it gives publicity to my thoughts related of Conductive Education. CE world is a small world therefore I think we have to share……so,… I wanted to share.

Before I started my blog, I was thinking hours, days, years what would be a great statement of being Conductive Ed Teacher and I was always formatting the text of it in my mind. During my holiday I have had enough time to sit down and write some of my former thoughts and add my present ones. I created a not finalised but current STATEMENT:

Statement of Being Conductive Education Teacher

I teach, deal both to change the world and to transform myself. Whether consulting with clients; parents, pupils, students, adolescents, adults or colleagues, friends, my goal is to help people think critically and take responsible action in personal, professional and civic life. I believe the aim of education should therefore be human development—the growth of the capacity to think and take action with ever-greater creativity and complexity.

To foster this development, I use a variety of active learning methods with one theme in common: All give practice at both reflecting on reasoning and experimenting with different ways of doing things. When clients participate, they often begin to move from thinking in polarities to taking context and circumstance into account, in this case testing how well they have understood others and themselves rather than assuming an idealized transparency.

Most people, especially disabled people, change their habits of thinking and acting only very slowly and gradually, in an often painful, iterative process of progress and regress—as demonstrated by much theory and research in learning and development. To support people as they encounter their challenges, I place great emphasis upon creating an environment of trust and empathy—in the classroom with clients and parents. Two ways to build such trust are to validate clients’ feelings as they are challenged, and to show them that I too face challenges and continue to learn from my mistakes.

One of my most fruitful teaching mistakes occurred when a client protested that the structured series of tasks of exercise was “unnatural, stupid, and we don’t need it.” At the time, I simply moved on, largely ignoring the protest, as I was a fresh conductor teacher, fearing my authority was being challenged. Upon later reflection, I realized I should have stopped and commented, “What a good point, active participating could feel very awkward, especially in CE. You also make me realize that I often assume that people should necessarily welcome new experiences like this. I should question that assumption.” I realized from this oversight that a “resistant” comment, instead of being avoided, could be highlighted directly, and thus provide an opportunity to model critical reflection and empathy for the struggles vital to learning.

What I find is often missing from conductor training is a focus on how to handle the unpredictability of events during classroom discussion. Having learned from the above incident, I responded differently in a subsequent situation in Munich, Germany. Some participants, when asked to share their opinions on a deeply personal issue, said they were not comfortable doing so publicly. This time, rather than either imploring or ignoring, I thanked them for saying so and asked how many others shared their concern. Finding a good split of opinions in the room, I described some of the aims and tasks then suggested we shift and use that very issue instead of my originally planned one, and people agreed. After acting like this, several participants remarked that my willingness to veer from my plan earned their trust, showing them I cared more about them than my method. I learned that such live group dynamics often provide the most teachable moments, as they allow the instructor to demonstrate a learning mode of self-examination.

I design assignments to tap intrinsic motivation and propel further inquiry. Those moments—when I discover how I have helped others but also find myself transformed and provoked to further thought and learning—are what sustain my endless fascination with teaching in CE. The dynamics make the process like an ongoing gardening experiment, where I am forced to modify my methods continuously, investigating just what different conditions are needed for different kinds of growing beings to flourish. Thankfully, the challenge never ends….

5 comments:

Andrew Sutton said...

Welome aboard, Laci, and congratulations for your significant contribution to the long, long task of giving conductors a 'voice'. I look forward to reading a lot more in later postings, both on general matters of principle and on specific issues that arise out of your practice and your research.

I have just come back from the annual North American cinference where I sensed that a major problem holding back and diverting the development of Conductive Education there is and will be the almost total lack of communication between two 'sides' in the CE movement, the conductors and the non-conductors. The conductors there are a remarkable bunch, but they have virtually no way of voicing what they think about things, about how they feel aand what they know. The 'debate' there around CE therefore carries on as if they do not exist!

The situation in North America is no different of course from that elsewhere, in the UK in Europe and other parts of the world. Conductors are fundamental to the present development of Conductive Educaton, they are in effect mute.

As you know, you are the second conductor to make a major break-through into cyberspace. Susie Mallett and you are true pioneers and I do most sincerly hope and expect that soon other conductors will draw courage from your openness and efforts and join you with blogs of their own, to make their vital contribution to a better public understanding of the essence of CE, not least amongst parents, disabled people and all those confused professionals.


Andrew Sutton.

PS PBy th eway, is the pletyka correct? Are you moving to MBH. If so, congratulations, and very interesting. Tell us all more!

Laszlo said...

First,thanks for your comment. As you know I used to work in US especially I worked some of those people who you met at the NA conference. Regarding the lack of communication idea of yours I have to asume that I always tried to giving a voice for the need of CE. After many years I understand the problem in an other way. Is anybody interested in the voice of Conductors? Probably yes but those who fight for money, outhority or something else as an owner of a CE place hardly want really lisen to. Anyway, I keep my fingers crossed that someone really does want.
About the pletyka: Nothing has been signed. Laci

James Forliti - Blue's Dad. said...

Laszlo, thanks for putting it into words. I have had the pleasure of hiring and learning from four conductors; each one amazing and a joy to meet. I can see that putting it into English is probably a lot of work for you. Thanks for doing that, I really appreciate it. When I look at the Hungarian, I only wish I could read it. (I suppose I should start my lessons. . .)
Your words are not wasted, and Andrew is right. There is a HUGE need for the conductor's voice. I have just recently had a local school authority approach me about CE, and they want to hear from the conductor next. It's SO important. I've always tried, with my little program, to just bring CE here without messing around with it at all. Keep it up. I will continue reading.

Susie Mallett said...

Laci, you explain being a conductor perfectly!
I look forward to a time when we can work together!
Until then we can keep the cyberspace conductor voice alive.

Will we meet in Munich in October?

Susie Mallett

LeticiaBTK said...

I am interested in the voice of conductors! as well. It is a pleasure to read your words and a conductor mind. Thanks for being someone that looks aside, we need you!
Leticia